Warning signs you may have a Moisture and Mold Problem
Backed up sewer pipes are an obvious moisture problem. As are leaky ceilings, burst pipes, and standing in a foot of water in your basement. How can you detect those hidden moisture problems though? And why would detection be important?
Excessive moisture in a structure can lead to mold growth and degraded building materials. Mold growth can lead to health issues for some and a delay of property sales for others. Mold growth that is not detected early can quickly progress past the point of easy repair.
A warning sign of a possible moisture problem is a musty odor. That strong musty odor is often caused by bacteria and mold growth that feeds on excess moisture in a dark cool space.
Dark patches in building materials is a second moisture signal. Undetected water seeps into building materials causing them to discolor and darken. Home owners can find these dark patches in ceilings after a heavy storm, in walls after a pipe had burst or in their hardwood floors when an appliance has a hidden leak.
The third sign of excess moisture could be a sudden increase in the number of pests. Water is a basic need of life, even for rodents, termites and wasps.
If you suspect an excess moisture problem and subsequent mold growth call 303-279-8055 SERVPRO Golden/Wheat Ride/Evergreen for a free initial inspection. Our trained technicians can help find the problem and quickly mitigate it, helping to prevent a small problem from becoming a large problem.