Defense against the dark arts....of mold
Mold happens. It is unsightly and invasive. Some people are more sensitive to the presence of mold and the affects it can have on their health. Some molds produce toxic compounds (mycotoxins). Unless you are making cheese, mold is an unwanted house guest.
Mold growth requires a source of moisture and a source of food. In homes the source of moisture is frequently a leak either from a pipe or moisture seeping in from outside. The food source can be anything from the paper on the drywall to the leather of shoes and furniture, carpeting, dust, wood…mold is not a fussy eater. While all mold may not pose a health risk all mold does degrade the material it is living on. Thus, leaving mold to grow free range just increases the costs of removing it and repairing the damage it caused.
How can a home owner prevent mold growth in the first place? Here are some useful tips:
- Keep the humidity between 30 and 60 percent
- Provide for proper drainage away from buildings foundations
- Regularly inspect plumbing and appliances for leaks
- Keep gutters and drains clear of debris
- Inspect the roof, windows and other areas where water might enter the building and perform necessary maintenance
- Respond to all water intrusions immediately
- Contact SERVPRO Golden/Wheat Ridge/Evergreen 303-279-8055 for assistance after water damage or if you discover mold.